* FTC Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed by contributors of the product
reviews are their own and not necessarily those of Netrition.com. These reviews should not be taken as
recommendations but rather customer opinions of the products that they may or may not have used. Furthermore,
Netrition.com makes no warranty or representation, expressed or implied, as to the accuracy or sufficiency of
the information contributed by outside sources, and assumes no responsibility or liability regarding the use
of such information. Netrition.com does not warrant the performance, effectiveness or applicability of any
materials listed or linked to on Netrition.com.
3 of 3 people found the following review helpful
5/5February 02, 2010
Reviewer: Justine in West Virginia
* I really love this stuff, lol! Very easy to use (I just press it with my fingers). It is not *exactly* like my mom's, but is actually way better than store bought, so I'm not going to argue. I've been lo carbing for close to a decade, and I've missed pies. A lot. This is a huge help!!
* I used this to make a low-carb pumpkin pie that turned out great! I substituted egg beaters and smart balance to make it even healthier. The crust baked nicely (although a bit thicker than expected) and tasted very close to the real thing. I will buy this again in the future.
* This is the easiest pie crust I've ever made...light and flaky and tender. Works well with dinner type fillings or fruit fillings. You won't be disappointed! If I'm in a rush for dinner I whip up one of these crusts, pre-bake it for about 10 minutes at 375º, then mix cooked chicken or drained tuna with a can of mushroom soup, 1/3 to 1/2 cup of half and half, a cup of frozen veggies and pour it into the unbaked shell, then pop it into a 375º oven for about 30 minutes.
* My husband is striving to eat low carb with me, but he struggles to avoid old 'treats' - like pie, for example. I have tried several low carb pie crust recipes, which turned out adequate. Then I discovered this product. He loves it - best low carb pie crust we've had yet. It's even a bit flaky (like the real thing) and has a good mouth feel and taste. I highly recommend this product and I will continue to order it regularly as he is a big pie fan and Thanksgiving and Christmas are coming soon!
* I used this crust to make a low-carb pumpkin pie and was quite impressed. It was very easy to work with and the result quite close to conventional pie crust. It won't rival your Grandma's blue-ribbon flaky crust, but compared to other commercial mixes/doughs, etc., I think it holds up very well. (I have not tried making a two-crust pie with it, however, so I cannot comment on how well it might work for that.)
* I used the Dixie Diner pie crust mix with the Dixie Diner mousse mix to make a chocolate cream pie. The crust was crisp and didn't go soggy after a day or so. It remained firm and held together until the pie was gone.