* FTC Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed by contributors of the product
reviews are their own and not necessarily those of Netrition.com. These reviews should not be taken as
recommendations but rather customer opinions of the products that they may or may not have used. Furthermore,
Netrition.com makes no warranty or representation, expressed or implied, as to the accuracy or sufficiency of
the information contributed by outside sources, and assumes no responsibility or liability regarding the use
of such information. Netrition.com does not warrant the performance, effectiveness or applicability of any
materials listed or linked to on Netrition.com.
2 of 2 people found the following review helpful
4/5January 23, 2010
Reviewer: Lori in Canada
* My husband is diabetic and has been following a low carb diet for many years to help control his sugar levels. Thanks to the availability of low carb products like the stuffing mix, he can enjoy a much wider variety of foods.
* I was skeptical when I ordered this the first time. However, desperate for a low carb stuffing option, I tried this product. I left out the egg and followed the other instructions to a tee. The first batch was too salty...my fault, too much chicken broth. The second batch was perfect! I used it in my stuffed acorn squash recipe and even my husband liked it! I now use it as a side dish for pork chops, turkey, and chicken. No guilt here! It is also delicious with sausage, celery, cranberries, and tart apples. Only caution: keep the salt low and do not over or under cook.
* We ordered a couple of packages to just try out this product and were delightfully surprised! We follow a strict low-carb lifestyle and found this stuffing mix an answer to a "wish upon a star." It is tasty and has a good texture and is a great substitute for the carb-loaded "normal" stuffing.
* I followed the instructions incorrectly and put the ingredients in the wrong order. It came out like a savory quick bread rather than stuffing. I added leftover cooked chicken (as suggested on the label) and it made for some nice lunches. I will buy it again and repeat making quick bread for lunches, but I won't buy it for stuffing.
* I would not make this mix strictly according to the package directions -- it will be very dry, the texture strange and the taste not at all like stuffing. It provides a reasonable base, however, for experimenting with stuffing-like ideas. I would definitely add a lot of broth to it, though you'll likely never get things to a bread-like consistency -- it is just too different. But try adding stuff like sausage, onions, etc., and I think you'll find there are some tasty dishes you can make which are similar to stuffing and worth the effort.
* I do not know what others are doing to make this mix taste good. I have tried it this year and last year and it is So Salty I throw it out. Bouillon is naturally salty so I used unsalted butter both times. I give up!!
* I didn't like this product at all. It was DRY, DRY, DRY. I added more egg, water, chicken stock, etc. to make it moist and tasty, and nothing worked. I ended up putting a tremendous amount of butter and salt on it to make it palatable (I hated to throw it away since it is expensive for the amount you get), but threw half of it away anyway. This company has great sweet mixes, but it is definitely hit or miss with the savory ones. Buy at your own risk.