* FTC Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed by contributors of the product
reviews are their own and not necessarily those of Netrition.com. These reviews should not be taken as
recommendations but rather customer opinions of the products that they may or may not have used. Furthermore,
Netrition.com makes no warranty or representation, expressed or implied, as to the accuracy or sufficiency of
the information contributed by outside sources, and assumes no responsibility or liability regarding the use
of such information. Netrition.com does not warrant the performance, effectiveness or applicability of any
materials listed or linked to on Netrition.com.
2 of 3 people found the following review helpful
4/5April 15, 2007
Reviewer: Doug in Wisconsin
* Long gone are the days "somewhat like chocolate" flavored clumpy protein drinks. This stuff mixes easily in a shaker bottle and it tastes a lot like an Orange Julius or V-8 splash. I'll admit there is just a twinge of aspartame aftertaste, but I'm picky about artificial sweeteners. I've gone through at least 4 containers of the fruit punch. I can't believe how good it is.
This review is specific to Nectar, Crystal Sky (Fruit Punch)
* After years of drinking chocolate protein shakes, I've gotten sick of chocolate, especially if I'm drinking it in the morning. Syntrax Nectar gives some variety, with fruit flavors. It mixes well, and I can try a different flavor if I get sick of one.
* Ironically, the artificially flavored varieties taste MUCH better than the naturals. I tried the naturals peach and it was absolutely HORRIBLE as far as aftertaste (and the taste of the sweetener used was not good. Even after mixing with low-carb fruit juice, I could not mask the taste. In contrast, I really like the taste of the non-natural varieties. They mix very nicely with water.
* Have tried Caribbean Cooler, Fuzzy Navel, and Twisted Cherry so far. The Caribbean Cooler is my favorite, and I have re-ordered it several times. Fuzzy Navel was good. Twisted Cherry tasted like cherry cough medicine and was loaded with red dye. Overall, though, the Nectar protein powder is worth the money. It tastes good and does dissolve well. And no/low carbs is a great thing! I'll keep buying it.
* I am an extremely picky person when it comes to taste, and have tried over 15 different protein/diet drink mixes and have never been able to finish them because of the level of "grossness", but Nectar is a totally different story. It's great alone, but for breakfast and lunch I mix them with a low fat/low cal vanilla ice-cream and it's really great. I would've given it 5 stars, but it does leave a small aftertaste, but not enough to make me throw it out like all the rest! Too bad there's no 4 1/2 star rating.