* FTC Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed by contributors of the product
reviews are their own and not necessarily those of Netrition.com. These reviews should not be taken as
recommendations but rather customer opinions of the products that they may or may not have used. Furthermore,
Netrition.com makes no warranty or representation, expressed or implied, as to the accuracy or sufficiency of
the information contributed by outside sources, and assumes no responsibility or liability regarding the use
of such information. Netrition.com does not warrant the performance, effectiveness or applicability of any
materials listed or linked to on Netrition.com.
3/5June 05, 2013
Reviewer: A customer in Virginia
* I ordered this along with the plain pasta from fiber gourmet. The pasta itself is awesome, just like regular pasta.
However, I found the sauce to taste pretty awful. It tasted like cayenne pepper to me, and not cheesy, I couldn't eat it. I admit, I don't know if I followed the preparation directions thoroughly, I just mixed a small bit with a little milk to taste (in case I didn't like it).
I decided to use the rest of the pasta plain to make other things. Again, amazing pasta noodles, but I'd much rather order the plain pasta and add my own sauce - plus it's cheaper that way.
* I LOVE the texture of this pasta - it is dense, firm, and very pleasing... Other macaroni & cheese often feels soggy to me. In that sense, I give this product 5 stars.
That being said, I agree with others that the cheese 'sauce' is completely inedible. Even when I splurged on the calories to add butter, hoping it would improve the taste/consistency, it was still barely tolerable. It's runny and bland and the color is unappetizing. So, the sauce gets a 1 star. Overall, 3 stars.
I am hoping to use the additional boxes I purchased, like others, to make my own macaroni & cheese or soup with. As I said, the macaroni itself is amazing, full of fiber, and very very filling.
* The pasta's great, but the sauce powder is DEE-SGUSTING. Seriously. I like Kraft mac & cheese, so it's not that it's cheap and chemical-tasting, which is ok with me - this stuff is sour, and bears no resemblance in flavor to cheese sauce powder. I cannot describe the taste really, and its odor is still in my kitchen hours later.
I made the box with the sauce, and then had to rinse the pasta trying to wash it off. Didn't work, the sour yuck lingered pretty strongly. I tried adding 1/4 cup or so of regular cheddar, and it was still sour and inedible.
My advice - if you really want want elbow pasta, get this and:
-Use the noodles in the box, they're great.
-Make your own sauce while pasta is cooking.
-Or use a sauce packet from a conventional mac & cheese.
-You can save the leftover regular elbows for your family, or for a potluck casserole or pasta salad. So, no waste.
The 3 stars is only for the useful elbow pasta inside.
* Not very creamy and cheesy like regular mac and cheese but if you add some cheese wedges to it, it's much tastier. NOT BAD but NOT GREAT! It can satisfy a mac and cheese craving though, especially if you add a slice of nonfat american cheese to it!!