* FTC Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed by contributors of the product
reviews are their own and not necessarily those of Netrition.com. These reviews should not be taken as
recommendations but rather customer opinions of the products that they may or may not have used. Furthermore,
Netrition.com makes no warranty or representation, expressed or implied, as to the accuracy or sufficiency of
the information contributed by outside sources, and assumes no responsibility or liability regarding the use
of such information. Netrition.com does not warrant the performance, effectiveness or applicability of any
materials listed or linked to on Netrition.com.
3 of 4 people found the following review helpful
4/5March 03, 2009
Reviewer: Max in Connecticut
* I like to blend with hemp and rice protein, then add super foods, and finally sweeten with stevia. It's mild, digests easily, and is quite affordable.
* I've tried many different plant-based protein powders over the years, including brown rice, soy, hemp, and pea.
There are a few reputable plant-based brands such as Sun Warrior and Vega but both brands cost at least DOUBLE the price as the NOW Foods pea protein.
For 2lbs at $20, you're not going to find any plant-based protein powders that taste as good as the NOW Foods Dutch Chocolate and Vanilla Toffee. The unflavored protein is NASTY, even when mixed into smoothies (which is unfortunate because it's SO much cheaper).
Both the chocolate and vanilla flavors mix well with any type of liquid, they don't clump, and they taste pretty good by themselves.
* Excellent source of a high quality protein! I mix it with 1 serving size of Now pure stevia. It does have quite a bit of naturally occurring salt - I just drink plenty of water, and usually add essential fats in when I'm at home. It mixes in very easily, and has a mild taste - with just a bit of pea flavor. Excellent for the price!
* This is the best for those with allergies. Taste can be an issue with some but why be a baby about it? Products such as this are taken for the BENEFITS they produce, not because they win tasting contests.
* I purchased the "unflavored" type, but it does have a flavor: It's awful.
This is the dilemma in powders; flavored have sugar or artificial sweeteners and "Unflavored" are disgusting. This product also seems to absorb and thicken, making it odd in consistency. I have to say, I recommend a pass.
This review is specific to Pea Protein, Natural Unflavored
* I have ordered this several times. I usually drink this in a shake consisting of a banana, peanut butter, ice, water, and of-course chocolate pea protein. It tastes great! Maybe not as good as muscle milk, but not nearly as bad as people say!! No terrible bloating either!
This review is specific to Pea Protein, Dutch Chocolate
* Even though I have always detested peas, this is a great protein. I have dairy allergies (including whey), so I had to switch to rice and other proteins. NOW pea protein has a high amount of protein per serving, and is easy to digest with no gas, bloating or other side effects. And I disguise the very faint taste of peas with a da Vinci flavored sugar-free syrup. (Did I mention that I hate peas?) :)