* FTC Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed by contributors of the product
reviews are their own and not necessarily those of Netrition.com. These reviews should not be taken as
recommendations but rather customer opinions of the products that they may or may not have used. Furthermore,
Netrition.com makes no warranty or representation, expressed or implied, as to the accuracy or sufficiency of
the information contributed by outside sources, and assumes no responsibility or liability regarding the use
of such information. Netrition.com does not warrant the performance, effectiveness or applicability of any
materials listed or linked to on Netrition.com.
5 of 6 people found the following review helpful
2/5November 20, 2009
Reviewer: Luis in California
* I wanted to believe this was going to be a great addition to my low carb world. I purchased 3 thinking I better get them while they are discounted. Mostly try to use them as a pancake mix and in that capacity I found the texture gritty and difficult to work with plus the added minus that the flavor was not all that great. Now I mix some of this product with Bisquick. which is reliable and together I get better results but no longer the advantage from using this product alone. Something like half and half, plus eggs. Atkins recipe for making pancakes is a little quirky and it must be because of the nature of this mix. I wanted to like it very much but no dice. I was also very curious to their pasta that was and has been released on the same date as this product. I have yet to attempt to use it in other ways but let's just say it is not top priority. I give All Purpose Baking Mix a sad 2 Stars. Obviously the magic I was hoping for did not materialize itself on real tine.
* I use my atkins cookbooks for baked goods religiously. I love having this baking mix available again. It has great recipe flexibility for replacing flour in baked goods. I love how well it seals and keeps for freshness in between uses too. It is a low carb staple of mine.
* I was pleasantly surprised at the taste and texture of goods baked with this mix. I tried Atkins bake mix when it was first introduced many years ago and hated it. I don't know if it has been reformulated or if my tastes have changed, but this time around I really liked it.
I've given it four stars as it is not a complete bake mix since it doesn't have fat or leavening added. It is a low carb flour substitute and does well in most recipes as long as you add fat and leavening and a bit more liquid than regular high-carb recipes call for.
* Nicely pleased. I was a little skeptical about his product. I have used this for pancakes, waffles, breading and making quick breads. A good change from biscuick for those who are watching our carbs. Gives a nice texture with no aftertaste at all.
* I can't say I'm absolutely crazy about this mix, but I have found some recipes that I do like. I am a true southern girl, and I fry fish with this mix. It comes out crispy and delicious. I do make the pancake recipe. No comparison to the real deal......of course. However, I use Polanders sugar free jelly and it makes for a good breakfast. I made the bread recipe. That was good. Best way to enjoy it is right out of the oven with some butter.
* So far I have made only pancakes. The recipe given is impossible; not nearly enough liquid. After considerable thinning it did make the 10 or more pancakes described. There was little flavor and the odor of soy flour was overpowering. I would have given this zero stars, but I will try to use it for another baked item and hope for the best.