* FTC Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed by contributors of the product
reviews are their own and not necessarily those of Netrition.com. These reviews should not be taken as
recommendations but rather customer opinions of the products that they may or may not have used. Furthermore,
Netrition.com makes no warranty or representation, expressed or implied, as to the accuracy or sufficiency of
the information contributed by outside sources, and assumes no responsibility or liability regarding the use
of such information. Netrition.com does not warrant the performance, effectiveness or applicability of any
materials listed or linked to on Netrition.com.
3 of 3 people found the following review helpful
3/5April 07, 2013
Reviewer: Louis in Texas
* Just Like Sugar is not, unfortunately, diabetic friendly. It does spike your blood sugar.
I do like the taste of Just Like Sugar. It has no bitter aftertaste and has caused no gastrointestinal problems. However, I had started to wonder at the spikes in my blood sugar.
I had been making lemon chess pie, using two cups of Just Like Sugar. The pie crust is the LC pie crust, and has little affect on blood sugar.
After fasting for two hours I tested my blood sugar: it was 102. I then had a piece of my pie. After an hour, my blood sugar was 164. After 90 minutes it was up to 212, so I then injected some insulin.
I truly wanted to believe that Just Like Sugar would be beneficial for diabetics, as the company stated. However, at least for me, it is the same as regular sugar.
Dr. Bernstein had stated in his book that problems like this are to be avoided. I should have heeded his words.
So far as the product itself: I would give it a '5' for usage, taste, etc. For the affect on my blood sugar, a '0'. Hence, a give a '3'.
* I use this for baking and it is a wonderful product! You measure it just like you would sugar. It is in a powdered form and mixes in thoroughly. I highly recommend it. Thank you Netrition for adding this to your offerings!
* I am Type 2 diabetic and test almost every new product I try. 14 grams of this product (equivalent to 1 tablespoon sugar) spiked my blood sugar from 102 to 177 in 15 minutes. That is HORRENDOUS! Since table sugar comes from various sources such as sugar cane and beets, I view this product as just another source of table sugar with all the same attributes.
* I have used this product several times and I think it is fantastic. I usually use 1/2 of what the sugar recipe calls for and stevia to make up the difference. It really gives a great taste to my bake goods. Absolutely love it!!
* When baking low carb, it is difficult to find sweeteners that act nicely and taste good without causing tummy troubles, this one does. Because it is so expensive, I usually combine it with other sweeteners like erythritol or liquid sucralose to add bulk and round out the flavor. It also mitigates the cooling effect. Some people have had blood sugar spikes, but I've not noticed any when using this. Another good tool in the low carb baking arsenal.