Citrus-Glazed Coffee Cake
Recipe Courtesy of LowCarbFriends, Posted by Kevinpa, Member
- 3 cups All Purpose Low Carb Flour Mix
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup Splenda (or your favorite low carb sugar substitute)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp quick yeast
- 1/2 cup Hood Calorie Countdown 2% Milk
- 1/2 cup sparkling carbonated water (citrus flavored) or plain water
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup powdered erythritol
- 1 TBL Carb Counters Thick It Up Low Carb Thickener
- 2 TBL sparkling carbinated water beverage (citrus flavored) or plain water
- Optional: vanilla extract
Grease 9 inch springform pan and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, yeast, sugar, and Splenda.
In electric mixing bowl with paddle attachment, combine water, milk, egg, and ricotta cheese. Add flour mixture and mix for 2 minutes until dough comes together.
Change paddle for dough hook and knead for 10 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. If dough is too wet, add more flour mix 1 TBL at a time to prevent sticking until you have the desired texture.
Divide the dough into 3 equal pieces and roll each piece into a 20 inch rope then braid the ropes together. Coil the braided dough into prepared springform and let rise in a draft-free location until dough fills out the springform. This could take approximately 90 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush risen dough with egg glaze. Bake until top is golden brown, approximately 25 to 30 minutes.
Release cake from springform pan onto a cooling rack to cool slightly. Run thin knife around edge if it sticks.
Combine erythritol, thickener, and water to form a thin icing and brush it on warm cake.