Carb Counters Oven Southern Fried Chicken, Gravy & Mashers
Recipe - Courtesy of Dixie USA
This will top your list of requests for a family dinner. The golden chicken is moist, flavorful and low in carbs. You can use skinned/boneless chicken breasts or regular drumsticks if you prefer. Recipe can be halved. Makes 8 servings. Freeze leftovers for up to 2 months.
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2-2/3 cups buttermilk, divided
- 1-1/2 cups Carb Counter's Bread Crumbs (Seasoned or Plain)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt (optional)
- 8 bone-in chicken breast halves
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- Prepared Carb Counter's Instant Mashers (2 inner packs) (optional)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Pour 1/4 cup butter into each of two 13" x 9" baking pans. Place 2/3 cup buttermilk in small saucepan-set aside. Pour 2 cups buttermilk into a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, combine the bread crumb mix and garlic salt (if using). Lightly salt and pepper each chicken piece (if desired). Dip chicken into buttermilk, then coat with dry mixture. Discard remaining buttermilk in bowl. Place bone side up in prepared pans. Bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes. Turn and bake 10 minutes longer or until chicken juices run clear.
For Gravy, combine the soup and buttermilk in saucepan. Cook and stir over medium high heat for 3-4 minutes or until heated through. Serve with chicken and mashers. Makes 8 servings at 5 net carbs per serving for chicken and gravy.