Low Carb Crispy Cashew Bars
Recipe - Courtesy of Dixie USA
- 1/4 cup Sugar Not Spoonful All Natural Sugar Replacement
- 1/4 cup Carb Counters All Purpose Flour
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup cashew halves and pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
Preheat oven to 325.
Baker's Tip: This recipe makes a thin, very crunchy bar. See variation for a thicker, less crunchy version, if desired. Lining the pan bottom with parchment paper makes bar removal a snap. If you'd like a very sweet bar, add a couple extra tablespoons of Sugar Not Spoonful Sugar Replacement.
Spray a coat of non-stick cooking spray in bottom of pan or line with parchment paper. Pour melted butter into an 8" or 9" baking pan. Swirl to coat most of pan bottom. Set aside.
In medium size bowl, combine Sugar Not Spoonful Sugar Replacement, flour and egg white. Stir to mix well. Add up to a tablespoon of water, if needed, just enough to get to a smooth, easy to spread consistency. Add cashews to mixture and stir. Drop by spoonful lightly over buttered pan bottom. Use a piece of plastic wrap to easily spread mixture by pressing out evenly over pan bottom.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
Cut into bars and cool. Bars may be stored at room temperature for a couple weeks, but for optimal freshness, refrigerate leftovers. Bars keep fresh for weeks in fridge. Bars may be tightly wrapped and frozen for up to 3 months. Makes 12 bars. 1 and 1/2 carbs per bar and just 44 calories per bar.
1. To make a thicker, softer bar, use 1/3 cup flour and 1 extra egg white.
2. For a sweeter bar, add 1/3 cup of Sugar Not Spoonful Replacement instead of 1/4 cup.
3. For vanilla cashew bars, add 1 teaspoon vanilla.
4. For chewy coconut cashew bars, add 1/2 cup of unsweetened coconut.
5. To make cranberry/cashew bars, stir in 1/4 cup of fresh or frozen cranberries.
6. To make almond/cashew bars, use almond flavoring in place of vanilla and add additional 1/4 cup sliced almonds or replace a tablespoon cashews with sliced almonds.
7. To make chocolate cashew bars, coarsely chop 1/3 cup randomly chopped Carb Counters Chocolate Chunkies or 1/2 cup low carb chocolate chips and stir into mix before spooning into pan.