Low Carb Pumpkin Donut Holes Cake
Recipe - Courtesy of Dixie USA
- 1 Carb Counters Donut Holes Mix, Vanilla
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
Preheat oven to 325.
Baker's Tip: Frosting Packet, which is the topping mix that comes with Donut Holes Mix, may be added directly into the dough when making. If desired, reserve a teaspoonful of topping to color the stem with. For a "frost is on the pumpkin" cake, or for basic sweet coated pumpkin balls, just add the topping after donut holes are cooled per Donut Holes Mix label directions.
In medium size bowl, place pumpkin, sour cream and melted butter. Stir to blend and add Donut Holes Mix, cinnamon (if using) and water. Add in topping (Frosting Packet), if desired. Stir to mix well. Using a rounded teaspoon or small size cookie dropper, drop 38 balls onto cookie sheet, 1"or 2" apart.
To make the cake stem, press two of the balls together and flatten slightly to make a crescent shaped "stem".
Bake for 15 minutes. Place balls together to form cake on a cookie sheet or serving tray and it's ready to go. Add a couple drops of green food coloring to a little of the Frosting Packet topping to color the stem, if desired. For sweet coated version, cool balls and coat with Frosting Packet topping, if using. Either store the balls in a sealed container in the fridge until making the pumpkin ball cake, or form the cake and serve. Cake balls are easy to make ahead of time and freeze.
1. Use 3/4 cup pumpkin and 2 tablespoons sour cream for a very intense color and pumpkin flavor.
2. Mix cinnamon into the Frosting Packet topping mix and coat the cooled balls to make a cinnamon flavored sweet coated version.
3. Add 1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice in place of the cinnamon for a spiced variation.